Sunday, April 19, 2015

My Ultimate Learning Space



This is a sketchnote, floor plan of my ultimate learning space made with the iOS app flipink. Overall my goal is for my classroom to be a comfortable and inviting learning environment where the 4 C’s (communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity) needed for 21st century learning will be possible1. The plan is based on the classroom I am currently in, except it is slightly bigger and it has a door to the outside.
It would not take too much to implement most of the changes. The windows already provide a lot of natural light. The walls need to be painted with soft colors similar to those I used in the sketch. The desks need to go in order to make room for group work centers. To allow for flexibility, both the tables and chairs will be on casters2. For the carpet area, I will need new comfortable chairs such as beanbags or gaming chairs. The ideal rug will be big enough for all to sit on, and it will have extra padding. I will have to get rid of some of the extra storage units I have in the classroom that contain my teacher items. This will make the room more comfortable to move around in.  Finally, my ideal learning environment will have 1:1 devices. I think I would like a combination of laptops and iPads so that students have choice in deciding how to create. While some of these ideas will are cost prohibitive, most can be accomplished over time.   

1 Partnership for 21st Century Skills
2 Edutopia, “4 Tips to Transform Your Learning Space”

1 comment:

  1. Another great sketchnote Victoria. I agree that many of the changes you want to make are things you can accomplish quickly. I am sure whatever classroom you are in next year, you will create a welcoming and student centered environment. Be creative in how you accomplish this, use all available resources including Donors Choose and other donation programs. Please keep sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete