Monday, December 7, 2015

Hour of Code is AWESOME




Today my class did their first Hour of Code activity. I started the lesson by showing a VIDEO: Top 10 Reasons to Code by Flocabulary, discussing how technology influences our lives, and introducing a few key vocabulary terms (code, algorithm, program, bug, debug). Next, I tasked students to write a program that would get a robot (me) around an obstacle and to an object (a highlighter). Students could only use the following four commands  é step forward,  ê step backward,  ç  turn left, or  è turn right. Students had think time and discussion time. Then they tried to run their program. Of course, on their first try I crashed into the obstacle, which provided a great opportunity to discuss debugging. On the next try students were able to execute their program without any bugs.

Then the fun started. I projected the Minecraft page from Code.org. The class watched the introductory video and then I called a student partner up to work with me through the first two levels. My partner and I modeled sharing the work, discussing which code to choose from our toolbox, and debugging when our program had an error. Afterwards, I released student pairs to get their iPads and access the site. I had QR codes ready for easy access.



My students and I are looking forward to a coding activity each day this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment